Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dining In: Recipe Failure

I get tired of all the cooking shows, blogs, discussion boards making everything look so easy. No one ever shows you the recipes that failed.



We'll I am not afraid to. I'm new in the kitchen, and accept shortcomings quite readily. I couldn't even boil a pot of water when my better half and I first met.

I found this recipe in my all time favorite cookbook, Taste of Home. It usually never stirs me wrong.

I had a beautiful boneless beef sirloin tip roast that I found on sale, and with it being semi-winter in these parts I wanted to bring out my slow-cooker. So I tried the recipe Slow-Cooked Coffee Beef Roast. It seemed like a decent recipe, the only strange thing was it called for 1-1/2 cups of coffee grinds.  It sounded weird, but I was feeling adventurous.

The result: tender, juicy meat covered in slimy coffee grinds. I could barely get the sample bite down. Now, I am not a coffee drinker. Thinking my taste buds were off I recruited my guinea pig (aka my better half), an avid coffee drinker, to try a bite. He ran out of the kitchen and headed straight for the bathroom.

I was heart-broken. Taste of Home was my kitchen stability. I felt like my cooking foundation had been split right down the middle.

Then I looked at the recipe again. 1-1/2 cups of brewed coffee. Big difference.

Saving you some heartache,







Ingredients
1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast (2 1/2 lbs)
2 tsp canola oil
1-1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 cups of brewed coffee
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper


Instructions
Brown roast in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place in slow-cooker
In the same skillet, saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic until tender. Stir in the coffee, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Pour over roast.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment