Monday, April 25, 2011

Bueller? Bueller?






Wow two weeks since I've posted or shown my face around here.

Don't worry I've been thinking about you friends and fellow readers.  Actually after about one week of not posting I was starting to really get stressed out and panicky.  Thinking I was failing, letting people down, and not on the simplifying journey.

Then late one night, after lying awake for hours, it dawned on me.  I have been simplifying. Quite a lot actually. I have been so caught up in reading about simplifying, writing about simplifying, and researching about simplifying that I didn't even recognize it when it was staring me straight in the face.



Recently I've been traveling, spending time with precious family and friends, and sitting quietly outside; often times doing absolutely nothing.  I even took a Sunday afternoon nap! It was divine and I would highly recommend it!

The time has been good.  It's been better than good, it's been fabulous!

I was inspired to just take a step back by my friend Laura M's post over at smash your tv and have adventures. She wasn't afraid to take charge of her life and live it, letting go of all the "bloggy" expectations.  I even lamented to her about my own feelings of guilt about not posting or having great ideas, and I loved her reply: "Your life is more important than logging in to write about it!"

So that's what I've been doing.  Living my simple life and loving every minute!

No ideas, no words, just reflective and introspective.  With quiet down time.  Trying to do nothing.

Through these quiet times I have noticed one thing coming up a lot lately.

My overwhelming interests.

I've whittled down a lot of my stuff (still in progress).  Skipped holidays. Gave up Facebook. Cooked at home, a lot!  Budgeted, cut the cable cord, and even dabbled in the bed bug epidemic.

But on top of all of that I've realized I'm still having a list of things to do a mile long AFTER I get home from my day job.

You see I have this great knack of getting myself involved in WAY to many other things.

Project upon projects.  And they usually go unfinished.

I still have a pair of knitted socks still on the needles in a closet somewhere as a testament.

I like to say "My eyes are always bigger than my capabilities".

And it's true.  So true.

My friend Stacey wrote a great post on simplifying your interests and realizing that just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to do everything.

That post has been sticking with me for a while now, and I have found myself reflecting on it a lot.

My current daily life things include my full time job (plus a part time one), maintaing healthy relationships, and not allowing my house to be condemned. (And I don't even have offspring!)

Now stack on all my current projects:  blogging, photography course, adventures in the kitchen, and volunteering.

Plus projects in the works or that I am actively thinking about: becoming fluent in Spanish, learning how to play the piano.

And it all becomes too much.  I can't even hear myself think anymore.  Or worse, I feel guilty for sitting and reading a book for an hour because I'm not being "productive".

It's a crazy mentality, but one I'm currently trying to overcome.

My first step.  Completing the projects I'm currently involved in before moving on to a new one.

Like this weekend, I worked really hard on my photography class and have completed everything except my last photo project! WhooHoo!  (This is something that's been hanging over my head for two years now, so I'm excited to see the end of the tunnel)

Taking a breather,

9 comments:

Steps said...

Ahhh, a woman after my heart - and I *do* have the offspring on top of that. I'm glad that you found some time to slow down a bit. Live in the moment, smell the roses... I try it off and on, between bouts of the (self-inflicted) craziness that's my life.

The problem is that you're really just too darn talented. Imagine what life would be like, if you were not smart, interested in many things, couldn't write well, didn't like people, stunk at photography and were an awful cook - just to list a few.

Enjoy your talents - and the occasional nap! And yes, finishing a project before you move on to a new one is probably a good thing.

Greetings from the queen of unfinished projects,
Stephanie

PS: One day, I'll have to write about my first attempt at kitchen redecorating. It was a colossal disaster, but funny :-)

Mel C said...

I completely understand this... I have the beginnings of several larg-ish projects laying around 1/2 a step from finishing them. I keep telling myself that when summer comes and classes are done things will be different and I can finish them then. I have learned that I tend to not finish things when I have time to but when I should be doing other things, I finish a hundred small things I have been ignoring. My simplifying step? Stop procrastinating (and to break up with Hulu, which I don't think I'm emotionally ready for but on with it anyway :) love you and can not wait to see you in June! I told my mom that I think I'm going to drive and she was like "why do you do these things to me?" but that's a story for another time.

Kisha said...

..and you'll be wearing your knitted socks in no time too, right? ;) I also have a ton of half-finished projects. Our bathroom remodel, which is mostly my husband's project, is ridiculously close to being done but because we can use it again the way it is now, it's sat untouched for months. I recently found a pair of socks that I was tatting an edging for when my niece (now sixteen) was about six. I had made her a pair and was then working on a pair for a cousin when I realized that the socks were probably too small for her, so I shoved the whole thing in a drawer and forgot about it. In the meantime, I have reproduced... so I thought... hey! I will finish these for my own little girl! So, I've been working on it during car rides and gymnastics lessons and am more than halfway done with them now. Let me tell you, working on long-dead projects feels REALLY good. :)

p.s. I know you guys won't be able to come to E's birthday party (as per Facebook invitation) but I just wanted you to know that you were welcome, anyway! :)

Stacey said...

glad to know i'm not the only one on this "journey". it's definitely difficult but i think it will be oh so worth it. although i do hope that someday piano and spanish can be back on my list too! :)

Laura M. said...

I've been neglecting my reader this week and just saw this post! So glad you're living and loving your life lately! :)

Simplifying interests is still something I struggle with. I know I can't have ten hobbies, and yet, I dabble a little here and there. My issue is that I want to do everything and once I have an opportunity, I jump on it. Still training myself to do one thing at a time! You're not alone.

Courtney Carver also wrote How to Cultivate Dolce far Neinte a couple days ago, too... with the same "sweetness of nothing" message and some tips on how to obtain it.

PS: I'm really enjoying Pandora! ;D

Simplifying in the South said...

Thank you friends. I can't tell you how encouraging it is for me to realize we are all on this journey together. I appreciate each and everyone of you, and all of your amazing ideas!

Unknown said...

yes, yes, yes- but i still keep trying to do it all! i am currently looking at my dining room table where it looks like a bomb went off! i used to have a large craft room for that purpose but we are now renting out that space (economy- yuck)

Unknown said...

by the way.... spanish and piano are on my list too! :)
gonna do "rosetta stone" with the kids & some friends this summer- piano may start with a keyboard & a dvd! lol (but seriously- it's good for our homeschool & mommy too)

Unknown said...

ok- just one more thing...... it may please you to know that i happen to have a "never really used" sewing machine purchased some 8 1/2 years ago when i decided to take up sewing- couldn't ever get the thing threaded right & still have the same piece of fabric jammed up in it!

Post a Comment