Friday, October 22, 2010

Dining In: Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

This past weekend we were invited to a cookout so I opted to make these delicious cookies.  They are great to make if you have some mushy bananas lying around that you didn't get to eat during the week.  And the bananas I had were in the perfect state:


This recipe comes from a book I started back in college.  It's recipes I've collected from many different people over the years, mixed in with a few of my own.  At the time all my friends thought this was hilarious since I couldn't even boil a pot of water.  Oh, college days....
Okay enough reminiscing.  Let's get started. Preheat your oven to 400F.  Then mash up the bananas really well in small bowl.
In a large mixing bowl put 3/4 cup of shortening, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg and the mashed bananas.
Just a side note.  I was excited to discover that you can buy the shortening in stick form which last longer and saves better in the pantry than the typical can.  Thought I would share.
Then beat that mixture together until smooth
In a separate bowl add 1-1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
Stir the flour mixture together then add to the banana mixture.  You can beat the two together, or if you're like me you use your hands (don't worry they are newly washed hands).  I just find it easier to use my hands to really mix well the flour and banana mixtures to get it all crumbly.

Then stir in 2 cups of quick oats and 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips.  The chocolate adds a really nice twist to this cookie so in my eyes you can never add too much.  So add generously.
Drop by tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet
Then bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.  They turn out as a delicious soft cookie.  Great for cookouts, tailgate parties, or just to have in your cookie jar.
Enjoy,







List of items needed:

3/4 c vegetable shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 c mashed bananas (2 bananas)
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 c quick oats
1 1/2 c chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment