Monday, December 6, 2010

Poor Rich People

I am currently reading this book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. It's really challenging and eye-opening. I recently read a section called Poor Rich People, which included some eye-opening facts.

"If one hundred people represented the world's population 53 of those would live on less than $2 a day."


Just take a moment to imagine 100 people. Do you see them? It's about the size of an average college classroom, or the crowd outside any Wal-Mart on Black Friday. For me it's the approximate size of my high school graduating class.

Now half of those people (yes 50%) represent those individuals that live on less than TWO dollars a day. TWO dollars.

Now picture just what two dollars would buy? Any two items at the Dollar Tree? 4 candy bars? Imagine trying to sustain your life on that.

And yet we continue to complain we are poor. I constantly hear, 'I'm broke. I never have enough money.'

Now don't get me wrong, I realize poverty in the United States is rampant. I currently live in one of the poorest counties in the state of North Carolina. My better half works at a public school were well over 50% of the children are on free/reduced lunch. Yet even some of the poorest people in the states never reach poverty levels of those in third world countries.

I think we as a people, as human beings owe it to our race to pay attention to those with less. And yet most of the time we can't see past our stack of bills and accumulating pile of debt. Most people are so strapped for cash their fifth credit card bill gets 'accidentally' thrown away, just so they can make it to the end of the month.

I was once there. Living the life of 'charge it' and worrying about the consequences later. Constantly running in the rat race. If you have the money,  spend it. If you want the object, buy it.

Maybe this holiday season you can take the first step. Stepping out of that rat race gives you freedom. It opens up more opportunities for generosity. It lifts the heavy burden of debt and guilt off of your shoulders.

Join me in making some new holiday traditions this year. Opt for time together instead of material things. Volunteer at a local school or shelter. Give some of your stuff away.

Encourage one another,

No comments:

Post a Comment