Friday, December 31, 2010

Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions

Modified from just THOUGHT no PROCESS

I drafted this post a couple of weeks ago, and I have to be honest, it was pretty cynical.



Probably because I suffer from Post-New Years Remorse.  You know what I'm talking about. Starting the year off with these HUGE expectations, followed by the feeling that you get in the middle of February when you find yourself laying on the couch eating bonbons, watching Richard Simmons exercise videos.

I've been there done that, and have the tshirt to prove it.  I've been the queen of making list about how I'm going to drastically alter my body, mentality, and approach, all the while kicking all my bad habits to the curve. Then by Groundhog Day I'm excusing all my vices, living the same frantic life as before.

I think it's the pressure. From our society and from within. This time of year makes you reflect about your past (although birthdays move me to do this more than new years) and desire to change your future. And you feel like you have to do it, all at once.

So I challenge you to take a different approach on the eve of 2011. Burn your list of New Year's Resolutions (and make s'mores!). Take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back for just making it through another year breathing.

Realize that life change is a process, something that can happen everyday throughout the whole year. Then on January 3rd take some quiet time and think about one thing you would like to be different in your life. Then focus on that one thing and change it.  Add something, subtract something, or just alter. Start a journey that isn't just limited to the month of January.

Cheers to a journey,

No comments:

Post a Comment