Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Grab a tissue and get ready to be challenged

I had the pleasure of indulging in my favorite past time over Christmas vacation, cuddled up with a book. During the break I read an amazing novel:



by Ron Hall & Denver Moore. 


It has been on my "Books to Read" list for a while, so I've forgotten what stimulated it to be there. But I would say now you MUST add it to your list, and make it the very next book you read!

This is a story about redemption and moving beyond our own prejudices. What I love about the book the most is that it is a true story, about a homeless man and a rich couple, their lives intertwined together in an amazing love story. There is so much wisdom in the pages, filled to the top with unconditional love.

Here is a small excerpt:

"You was the onlyest person that looked past my skin and past my meanness and saw that there was somebody on the inside worth savin. I don't know how, but you knowed that most a' the time when I acted like a bad fella, it was just so folks wouldn't get too close. I didn't want nobody close to me. It wasn't worth the trouble. Besides that, I had done lost enough people in my life, and I didn't want to lose nobody else."

I am so motivated by Debbie Hall and her story that's told in this book. She was a strong-willed, loving woman.  I learned numerous lessons about what it means to truly love everyone. Not just the people that are easy to love, but those that seem the most unlovable. This book threw the wool off my eyes.  Before this I considered myself a loving, generous person. But I now realize those characteristics came through when it was convenient, and comfortable for me.  Not once have I gone out of my way to really meet the needs of another person. To love and give sacrificially.

I'll leave you with a moving final paragraph in the book:

"The truth about it is, whether we is rich or poor or something in between, this earth ain't no final retsina place. So in a way, we is all homeless--just working our way toward home."

Enjoy the read,

No comments:

Post a Comment