Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Doctored Cake from a Box

I've been going through a cake phase lately.



This phase resulted in me making one round cake and 5 dozen cupcakes.  Don't worry, I shared.....a little.
I did let a few of those cupcakes help me through my crazy week.  And man were they delicious.

I'm really not good at making cakes from scratch.  They always turn out dry and crumbly.  It's usually another recipe failure.  This cake recipe is my saving grace.  And will win you "oohs" and "aahs" from the dinner table.  And you don't have to tell anyone it's from a box.  Don't worry your secret is safe with me.

Here are the ingredients you'll need:


And you can do this with any cake box mix.  I was in the mood for chocolate, so I decided to go with the classic yellow cake.

Grease and flour your cake pans.  You can use any size you want, or feel free to make cupcakes.

Dump that cake mix into a large mixing bowl.  Then throw in some sugar (1/4 c), water (1/4 c), and an egg.


And mix it with an electric mixer until smooth.  Then you'll need to mix in three more eggs.  Only add them to the cake mix one at a time though.
Next up is sour cream (1 cup).  Plop that bad boy in the cake mixture.


And mix it until smooth.  Next add one stick of melted butter.


And mix on high until the cake mixture is nice and thick.


Yum! I could just stick my finger in it.  The restraint was unbearable.  I might have licked the beaters though.  Who knows? What happens in the kitchen, stays in the kitchen.

Now dump the cake mixture into your prepared pans.


And bake according to the instructions on the back of the box, adding 7-10 additional minutes.  Also, be mindful that this increases your batter amount.  So for example if you're making cupcakes you'll probably get 3 dozen cupcakes out of your mixture instead of 2.  Things to keep in mind when preparing your cake pans.

Bake and enjoy.



And have a piece (or 2) for me.







Ingredients
1 box of cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
4 eggs
1/4 c white sugar
1/4 c water
1 c sour cream


Instructions
Grease and flour cake pans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Pour cake mix into large bowl.  Add sugar and water, beat mixture on high until well blended
Add eggs to cake mixture one at a time and blend well
Add sour cream and blend until smooth
Add softened butter and mix on high until batter is thick
Follow the timing instructions on cake box for desired time (dependent on cake size), adding 7-10 additional minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment