Monday, October 18, 2010

BUSY-the other four letter word

I thought of this word as I was rushing out to work one morning and saw this moth on my front door.  It was even a miracle I noticed it.  I feel like that's how I spend 99.9% of my life, running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  (Sorry to my vegan friends for the reference)



I'll admit, since we've moved things have slowed down quite a bit from my previous life.  But, I'm worried if I am not careful, we will be back to warp speed by Christmas.  And trust me that speed is exhausting.

I find myself saying "Life is to short to live like this".  The words sound great coming out of my mouth, but putting action to them is a different story.  You see I have this hyperactive-always-have-to-be-doing-something personality.  Usually it's pouring myself into my work.  If I ever do have a free minute I fill it with my numerous other hobbies: cooking, photography, reading, etc.  And then add on other things that I discover (yoga, knitting, painting).  I'm just interested in learning a lot, about everything.  However, sometimes it really becomes to much and the word BUSY enters my vocabulary.

Then I wear it as a badge of honor.  How often when I am asked "How are you?", do I reply "Busy".  And I am proud of it.  In my field that reply means I'm smart, productive, motivated, a "go-getter".  I really must be important if I'm always BUSY.  But in my own experience you can only be BUSY for so long, and then complete exhaustion sets in.  At that point I usually have to stop, power down and pick up the pieces of my life.

So this week, in my new life, I am getting a head start and fighting against BUSY.  This life is so short, it really is worth living every second.  So I'm challenging myself with two things.

One, to not say the word busy.  It's simple, but not easy.

Two, to stop being busy.  For me this looks like taking some time out during my work day for myself.  My typical day is spent working like crazy, with a few minutes to visit the ladies room and scarf down my lunch.  I'm stepping away from my desk this week for lunch.  There is a nice pond right outside my building where I can listen to the calming water and just soak up the sun.  I'll let you know what happens.

A good friend of mine told me the average American takes 55 minutes out of the day to eat (all three meals).  The French, 2 hours and 15 minutes.  How can you make your dining experience this week more about other things than just consuming calories?

Slowing-down,

No comments:

Post a Comment