Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dining In: Teriyaki Chicken & Mashed Potatoes

This was my definition of a southern meal (loads of butter) with a little bit of zing.  I adapted the teriyaki chicken marinade recipe from that Taste of Home cookbook I have.  The mashed potatoes concoction is from my Mom and guesswork (it was my first time).



The chicken is the easiest:
(Warning veggie loving friends, you may not like the meat-loving pictures below)

Stir together all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl:  3/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
Then dump the marinade over the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag.  I used boneless skinless chicken breast I had, but you can also use drumsticks.

Seal the bag, and stick it in the refrigerator overnight, or minimum 1 hour.

Now, onto the potatoes.
Peel and cut about 5 lbs of potatoes, placing them in a stockpot.  I learned you can make this recipe as little or as large as you want it, it really is just eyeballing the ingredients and relies on taste testing....my favorite!  So don't be afraid to do some tweaking.
Cover the potatoes in water and bring to a rolling bowl.  Once boiling let them cook about 15 minutes or until tender.  They should fall apart when you stick them with a fork.  Then drain the potatoes.
Place the drained potatoes in a large bowl and mash'em.  Then add 5 tablespoons of butter (or more if your southern heart desires), 3/4 cup of buttermilk, 1-2 teaspoons of garlic salt (depending on what kind of breath you want your guest to have), and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
Mix those ingredients together until smooth.  Then add my Mom's secret ingredient--loads of sour cream (about 1-2 cups).  In my case I had about 1-1/2 cups in my refrigerator, but it sufficed.
Mix that all together until creamy and smooth potatoes result.
Then just try and keep your fingers out of them before you get them to the table.  Yes, I'm guilty.  Those are my "taste-testing marks".

Oh, and I almost forgot the chicken.  To tell you the truth I really would have been ecstatic to eat only potatoes with loads more butter for dinner, but my better half insisted on a MEAT & potatoes dinner.  So he grilled the chicken medium heat 5-7 minutes on both sides, and the birds turned out gorgeous.
It will make your arteries clog to tell you we also ate this meal with buttermilk biscuits (plus more butter), so I won't.

Lovin' this southern cooking,







List of items needed:
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsps brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Potatoes
5 tbsps butter
3/4 cup butter milk
1-2 tsps garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-1/2 cups sour cream

No comments:

Post a Comment