Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dining In: Sweet Cornbread

This was my inspiration for this "Dining In" post.



Yellow cornmeal. I found it in my pantry behind the cob-webbed covered can of corn and pickled beets.

I don't remember how it got there.  I just felt this urge that I had to use it.  Inspired slightly by Eliza's challenge to clean out your pantry and cook something different.

So I searched the internet for recipe ideas using cornmeal. Since I don't have a deep fryer my dreams of hush puppies or fried butter were quickly squashed.  Ooh fried squash.

Oh well.

I understand, you just realized I'm the first southerner you know without a bucket of oil sitting in their kitchen…it's okay just take a moment.


Deep fryer-deprived I ventured into the world of cornbread with my quest to use yellow cornmeal.  I was inspired by this recipe for Surprise Cornmeal Muffins but added my own little twist.

I started with the star of this post, yellow cornmeal (1 cup to be exact).  Plus some flour (1 1/4 c), baking soda (1 tsp), baking powder (2 tsp), and some salt (1/2 tsp).


Then in a separate bowl I mixed some softened butter (1/2 c, 1 stick) and sugar (1/2 c).


What's a southern recipe without the precious BB?

Now is the fun part. Beat in 1 egg, and some milk (1 c).


Next add some yogurt (1/2 c). We always have strawberry around our house, so I danced with what I brung.


Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until moistened.  Don't go all Rachael Ray on me and mix too much though.


Now for the filling.  Since I used strawberry yogurt, I decided to stick with my theme (for once) and mixed strawberry jam (1 heaping tsp)


With cream cheese (4 oz). Until, well its creamy.


Here is a picture of my favorite kitchen items.


I love these spatulas from Kitchenaid.  They are constantly in my sink (dirty) because I use them for everything. And they won't even melt! (Trust me, I've tried) My better half got them for me for Christmas a couple of years ago.  Our very first Christmas after we tied the knot.

Ahh, the memories.

Sorry I get distracted easily.  Hyperactive chipmunk fits my personality 85% of the time.

Ok, fill your lined muffin tin with the cornmeal mixture half way. Then add a dollop (1 tsp) of the filling.


Top with the remaining batter



Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy this interesting sweet bread.  The surprise in the middle is such a delight.


Now if you can tell me what to do with this



There might be hope for my pantry.

Experimenting in the kitchen,






Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1//2 cup strawberry yogurt
4 oz cream cheese
1 (heaping) tsp of strawberry jam


Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line muffin tin with paper wrappers or liberally grease
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl
In separate bowl cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk, and yogurt 
Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened
Cream together cream cheese and jam for filling
Spoon half the cornmeal batter into muffin tin
Fill with 1 tsp of filling, and then top with remaining batter
Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown

7 comments:

Steps said...

I have tons of cornmeal in my kitchen. The only thing I ever use it for is to cover the pizza stone with so that my pizza won't stick.. I should try my hand at something else sometime...

I do believe that I have come across a recipe at one point that used flax meal. I'll let you know, if I find it :-)

By the way, you inspired me to blog a cooking adventure of my own: http://isosat.blogspot.com/2011/02/spatzle.html

AAJ said...

Some of the things in your Dining In don't sound to bad. This on the other hand sounds horrible. Hope it tasted better than it sounded. Oh and I have made the S'mores Bars yet as I have been dealing with a migraine. Soon though I will.

AAJ said...

OH and here is a website so you can use your Ground Flax Meal
http://www.ameriflax.com/default.cfm?page=frecipes

Steps said...

That looks so good! I love your pictures, too.

My cornmeal only gets used when I make pizza - to keep the dough from sticking to the pizza stone.

I did come across a recipe that called for flax meal not too long ago, but I don't remember what it was.

Oh, you have inspired me to cook... and blog...

http://isosat.blogspot.com/2011/02/spatzle.html

Simplifying in the South said...

@ Stephanie: Great! I'm looking forward to getting to read about your cooking adventures.

@AAJ: Thanks for the recipe link. It was exactly what I needed!

Anonymous said...

Great photography. But we miss your winning charm and good cooking in KY! Gail

Simplifying in the South said...

Thank you Gail. I miss you gals too! Hope to get back to My Old Kentucky Home for a visit soon!

Post a Comment