Friday, January 28, 2011

Dining In: Outback Baked Potatoes

Our neighborhood is right across the street from our local Outback Steakhouse.



We don't frequent there as often as I wish.  But when we do one of my favorite things on the menu is their famous baked potato.

I know, I know. Out of all the things to choose from, like the Bloomin' Onion and Aussie Cheese Fries.  Oh, yeah and they have pretty good steak too.

But those potatoes are like nothing I've ever tasted.  Their insides are so fluffy, surrounded by a wonderful salty shell.  Dare I say it, but I don't even think they need a butter topping.  I think I just heard you gasp. Rest assured, butter is still a HUGE part of my cooking life and actually a main ingredient in this recipe (for the outer shell).

After experimenting on my guinea pig, I finally conquered the recipe. It's probably one of my favorites because it is so simple.  I make these at least once a week in our house.

The main ingredient in this easy recipe is butter.

Isn't that just gorgeous? I think I could just cut a slice off and eat it. 

Okay, next you'll need the other main ingredient: the potato.  Washed, poked and ready to go.


The number of potatoes is dependent on your family size. I recommend 2 tablespoons of butter per potato.  So once you've done a head count, go ahead and melt the butter in the microwave.


Then take a brush (basking? marinade? butter? brush....I never really know what it's called) and smother each potato with it.  Make sure to generously brush the entire potato.

(Thanks to my better half for helping with this shot)


They should glisten in the pan, like this:


And you were worried I might be giving up butter cold-turkey.

Now for the salt.  You can use kosher, table, or whatever kind you got.  I usually just use the table salt shaker, but I've estimated you'll need around 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of salt per potato.  Sprinkle the salt all over the buttered-potato.


If you want you can sprinkle the salt on a plate and cover each buttered-potato with salt by rolling it around on the plate.  However if you eat the skin of the potato (like my better half), I wouldn't recommend it.  Your blood pressure will thank me.

So that's it, you're finished. Pop those little potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes (425 degrees).  The finished product should look something like this:


Crack those potatoes open and enjoy. And feel free to add a little butter, for me.


Fellow butter-lover,


Ingredients
Potatoes
2 tbsps butter per potato
1-1 1/2 tsps salt per potato

Instructions
Wash, and poke potatoes
Coat each potato with melt butter.
Coat each buttered-potato with salt.
Bake for 45 minutes, 425 degrees

1 comment:

Jillian Vanover said...

I'm so glad to be able to keep up with you via your blog! I enjoy reading it!! Hope you're doing well!!

Post a Comment