Sunday, January 9, 2011

Round 3: 100 Things

So I was feeling a little bit bummed this weekend as I entered the next round of my 100 thing challenge.



I've been reading a lot about minimalist living, discovering new blogs and ideas.  I've been impressed and felt a little bit inferior to people like Joshua Becker, Mike Donghia, Everett Bogue, Tammy Strobel. And of course the ultimate guy himself, Dave Bruno who began the 100 thing challenge and then wrote a book about it. I've talked about this before, that feeling of B-List simple living. Not living up to the olympic athletes of the minimalist lifestyle.

I've been overwhelmed with downsizing even more, feeling like an imposter because some of my 100 things are categories of 5 items or less (one of my first rules, knowing I couldn't narrow down to 1 pair of blue jeans). I just had a "you have to be perfect or don't try at all" moment. These happen to me sometimes, because I'm a little bit obsessive and a perfectionist. Perfect combination.

I kept climbing the hill though, reminding myself that it's okay "to let minimalism to be a learning process." Who knows maybe after whittling my stuff down this year, next year I'll go even bigger--getting rid of more stuff and living on less.

We will see, one step at a time.

I tackled the office this round.  Here is the addition to my list:
(For previous items go here and here)

33. Jewelry
34. Hair Accessories
35. Bags/Purses
36. Office Supplies
37. Photography Stuff
38. Filing Cabinet
39. Boxed up Wedding Dress
40. Greeting Card Box

This was a tough weekend de-cluttering, but don't worry I'm sticking with it.  And I encourage you to do the same.  Have your moment to feel like a failure, reflect, maybe write about it, then put your big girl panties on and keep going! (little words of wisdom from my momma)

Here is a sneak peek at the next place:
EEK! The guest bedroom (and yes it's our catch-all)!!

Second-class simple living, happily.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

i'm struggling to find the balance between self-sufficiency and simplicity. we had to move for my husbands job so we sold our house and moved into a much smaller townhome. 1/3 of our stuff is at my parents' house, 1/3 in a storage unit (that's expensive) and the rest is here with us. and that's after we went through and gave TONS of stuff away! i don't have the answers... unfortunately but i hate to get rid of all extras because then i miss them and end up buying them when i need them...

i awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award! head over to http://www.agoodandsimplelife.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html and check it out!

Simplifying in the South said...

I totally understand the part about getting rid of the extras just in case. I'm crazy about making sure I keep stuff around, even in the instances where I think my future children might like to see it. It's a work in process though. We can keep doing just taking one small step at a time. Don't be discouraged!

Thank you for the kind award!

Anonymous said...

Hey where am I suppose to sleep when I come to visit?? lol

Simplifying in the South said...

Don't worry we will have it cleared out before then :)

Post a Comment